You know the old writing saying, “Write what you know?” Well, I think that it should be expanded to “Write what you want to know!”
For example, in my latest novel manuscript, an eccentric local handwrites a Sand Bucket List on a bar napkin for my main character, Marcie, a lonely, divorced, self-proclaimed beach hater. As she completes this list with new friends she meets along the way, Marcie comes to peace with her painful divorce and finds true happiness.
Much of what she experiences are things I’d love to try, so I’ve challenged myself to be more adventurous at Ocean City by completely an expanded version of the list! Care to join me? AWESOME, be sure to share your experience in the comments below!
Interested in my absolute favorite restaurants, happy hours, and more? Click here!
The Sand Bucket List:
Things in bold are ones I’ve already accomplished and I’ll include links for any accompanying blog posts! Do you have a suggestion? Tell me about it in the comments!
Click here for a printable version and be sure to come back often as I’ll be updating this as I find out about more adventures!
- Watch the sunrise on the beach.
- Watch the sunset on the bay.
- People watch on the Boardwalk at night.
- Make a sandcastle.
- Swim in the ocean and jump in the waves.
- Gather seashells.
- Read a book in one sitting on the beach, on a deck, or by a pool.
- Nap on the beach.
- Try a Dirty Banana from Riptides. (They’re DELICIOUS!!!)
- Play Mini-Golf
- Ride the Ocean City Tram up and down the Boardwalk, people watching along the way!
- Eat some ice cream from Dumsters.
- Try the fries at Thrashers!
- Definitely get some popcorn from Fisher’s, too.
- Buy some taffy or other candy at Dolle’s Candyland!
- Go kayaking. (I’ve heard the Pocomoke River is amazing if you don’t mind the drive!)
- Enjoy the view from parasailing!
- Visit the Isle of Wight Park & Wildlife Management Area.
- Visit Assateague Island and check out the Assateague Adventure Scenic Cruise.
- Tour the Ocean City Life-Saving Museum.
- Visit Northside Park and walk to the end of the pier.
- Sing karaoke at the Sand Bar.
- Go the Barn 34 for Happy Hour and tell Rodney I said hello!
- Check out the Ocean Pines Farmers & Artisans Marketplace at White Horse Park.
- Experience Ocean City from a different view by biking on side streets.
- Taste heaven by trying the creamed chipped beef at The General!
- Buy a souvenir at Sunsations!
- Linger on the pier at the end of the Boardwalk until you see a dolphin.
- Shop at one of the many Ocean City boutiques for something special!
- Try paddleboard yoga.
- Or yoga on the beach!
- Visit the Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art.
- Take the Distillery Tour at Seacrets!
- Try the bagels from Uber Bagels … they will change your life.
- See the oldest hand-carved carousel at Trimpers and have some fun while you’re there!
- Hang out at the Ocean City Pines Beach Club Pool!
- Stroll through downtown Berlin, Maryland. (Technically not Ocean City but seriously quaint.)
- Try a flight at Burley Oak Brewing Company in Berlin, Maryland.
- Have a glass of wine at the Windmill Creek Winery in Berlin, Maryland. (They also have a Farmers Market on Fridays!)
- Feeling artsy? Tour the Ocean City Art League!
- Find Stinky Beach.
- Visit the DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum.